A Senior Research Fellow at Fondation pour la Recherche stratégique, Isabelle Facon is a specialist on Russian security and defense policies. She has been working extensively on Russian military affairs, the military reform process, defense industry issues and the evolution of civil-military relations. She has also devoted a lot of research to the study of Russia’s foreign policy.
Isabelle Facon spent her academic time at Université Paris IV-Sorbonne. She also spent one year at Oxford University, as an Associate Member of Saint Antony’s College.
Isabelle Facon has been a Senior Lecturer at Ecole polytechnique (Geopolitics of Eurasia Seminar) since 2008. She has also been contributing, since 2003, to two Masters at Institut Catholique de Paris (Social and Economic Sciences Faculty, courses on International Security and International Security Organizations). She is a member of the Editorial Board of the French monthly Revue de Défense nationale, of the Scientific council of the review Questions internationales, and of the on-line review Journal of Power Institutions in Post-Soviet Societies. She is also a member of the French Association of Internationalists (Association des Internationalistes).
Isabelle Facon is the author of more than 100 publications, both in France and abroad. In English, since 2010:
- « Reforming Ukrainian Defense: No Shortage of Challenges », Notes de l’IFRI, Russie.Nei.Visions, Russia/NIS Center, Institut français de relations internationales, n° 101, May 2017, 31 p.
- Russia’s National Security Strategy and Military Doctrine and Their Implications for the EU, Directorate-General for External Policies, Policy Department, Sub-Committee on Security and Defence, European Parliament, 1er février 2017, 27 p.
- « Russian Strategic Culture in the 21st Century: Redefining the West-East Balance », in Ashley J. Tellis, Alison Szalwinski, Michael Wills (ed.), « Understanding Strategic Cultures in the Asia-Pacific », Strategic Asia 2016-2017, The National Bureau of Asian Research, 2016, pp. 62-89
- « Russia’s Perspectives on the US Pivot: Opportunities and Constraints in the Asia Pacific », in Hugo Meijer (ed.), Origins and Evolutions of the US Rebalance toward Asia. Diplomatic, Military, and Economic Dimensions, Sciences Po Series in International Relations and Political Economy, Palgrave Macmillan, 2015, pp. 254-273
- « Moscow’s Global Foreign and Security Strategy: Does the Shanghai Cooperation Organization Meet Russian Interests? », Asian Survey, Vol. 53, n° 3, May/June 2013, pp. 461-483
- « The Russian Way of War », in Yves Boyer & Julian Lindley-French (dir.), Oxford Handbook of War, Oxford University Press, 2012, pp. 273-286
- « Ukraine: the Case of a “Nuclear Inheritor” », in James Wirtz & Peter Lavoy (dir.), Over the Horizon Proliferation Threats, Stanford University Press, April 2012, pp. 160-178
- Towards a Euro-Atlantic and Eurasian Security Community. From Vision to Reality, joint report with the Centre for OSCE Research (Hamburg University), the Polish Institute of International Affairs (Warsaw), the Moscow State Institute of International Relations (Moscow), OSCE Track II Initiative, octobre 2012 (with Wolfgang Zellner, Yves Boyer, Frank Evers, Camille Grand, Ulrich Kühn, Lukasz Kulesa, Andrei Zagorski)
- « Russia and the European Great Powers: France», in Kjell Engelbrekt & Bertil Nygren (dir.), Russia and Europe, Building Bridges, Digging Trenches, Routledge, 2010, pp. 167-183