Fields of expertise
- China's global rise
- Chinese outbound foreign direct investments
- Asia-Europe relations
- China-U.S. relations
- Great power competition in the Indo-Pacific
- Senior Fellow, Harvard Kennedy School (2017-2019).
- Visiting Fellow, Brookings Institution (2014-2017).
- Senior Director (international affairs) responsible for the Shanghai office, Publicis Consultants (2007-2012).
- Analyst on Asian Affairs, Directorate for Strategic Affairs, Ministry of Defense (2007)
- Senior Adviser to the French Defense Minister (2004-2007).
Other ongoing activities
- Joint Research Associate, Ash Center for Democratic Governance and Innovation & Mossavar-Rahmani Center for Business and Government, Harvard Kennedy School (since 2019)
- Senior Research Fellow, Essec-Institute for Research and Education on Negotiation (since 2019).
- Associate in Research, John F. Fairbank Center on Chinese Studies, Harvard University (since 2018).
- Non-resident Senior Fellow, Asia Program/Europe Program, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, Washington (since 2017).
- « China’s Challenging Year in Europe », Echo-Wall, November 10, 2020
- « How Europe’s Big 3 Are Shifting on China », The Diplomat, August 14, 2020
- « The EU’s New Defensive Approach to a Rising China », Carnegie Endowment for international Peace, July 1, 2020
- « The EU’s New Defensive Approach to a Rising China », ISPI, June 29, 2020.
- « The EU and China in 2020: More Competition Ahead », Carnegie Endowment for international Peace, February 19, 2020.
- « The Case for Transatlantic Cooperation in Indo-Pacific », Working Paper, Carnegie Endowment for international Peace, December 18, 2019 (co-authored with Erik Brattberg).
- Chinese influence and investment in Europe, Testimony before the U.S. House of Representatives Foreign Affairs Committee, May 8, 2019.
- « Kazakhs Wary of Chinese Embrace as BRI Gathers Steam », National University of Singapore/MEI paper, February 2019.
- « China’s Rise as a Geo-economic Influencer: Four European Case Studies », Working Paper, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, October 2018.
- « Chinese Investments in European Countries: Experiences and Lessons for “One Belt, One Road” », in Maximilian Mayer (ed.), Rethinking the Modern Silk Road: China’s Belt and Road Initiative under Scrutiny, Palgrave MacMillan, 2018.
- « China’s Rise: What about a Transatlantic Dialog? », Asia-Europe Journal, June 2017 (co-authored with Jonathan Pollack).
- « France, a Critical Player in a Weakened Europe », CUSE paper, Brookings Institution, April 2017.
- « China Abroad: The Long March to Europe », China Economic Quarterly, juin 2016 (co-authored with Alain Sepulchre).
- China’s Offensive in Europe, Brookings Institution Press, mai 2016 (with Alain Sepulchre).
- « A New Special Relationship: China and the UK Rekindle their Ties », Foreign Affairs, octobre 2015.