Malaysia and Southeast Asia expert, also focusing on transnational questions of political transition, democratic processes, personnality politics, autocratic and populist figures.
Radicalization and political polarization, erosion of electoral and civic processes and youth engagement deficit. Political Islam, Religion & Politics, politics, violence, and criminality. Gender, minorities, and intersectionality politics. Human rights; indigenous rights and social development.
- Founder and Director at SoCo (2021), political consulting firm based in Kuala Lumpur.
- Founder and Director at World Wonderers (2020), social business based in Kuala Lumpur.
- Extensive field research in southeast Asia for academic studies and consulting since 2004.
- Numerous research fellowships and grants in University and think-tanks: Kennedy School and WCFIA-Harvard, Stanford, New York University, SIPA-Florida International University, Wits University (RSA), CSEAS-Kyoto University, CSIS-Washington DC, Nottingham University Malaysia...
- PhD in Political sciences, Sciences-Po Paris (2014)
- Master 2 Politique Comparée, Sciences-Po Paris (2007)
- Maîtrise de géopolitique, Institut Français de Géopolitique, Paris 8 (2005)
- Chinese language diploma, Beijing Languages and Cultures University (BLCU, 2004)
- The Last Game: A Story of Mahathir’s Return to Politics (Penguin Random House (forthcoming, 2023)
- Minorities Matter, SIRD-ISEAS (2019)
- Illusions of Democracy, Amsterdam University Press (2017)
- Misplaced Democracy, SIRD (2014)
- More @ https://www.sophielemiere.com/news-publications/